Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My First Blog...

Throughout my four years of high school, I continually took computer classes to be able to keep up with not only my classmates, but overall technology as well. I went from general word processing, to PowerPoint and Excel, to designing my own website. Although at first it was a little boring, I eventually started to become more and more interested in what the "world of computers" (as my Dad calls it...) actually had to offer.

Not to sound like a nerd, but I'm actually really excited about this class. Once I begin teaching, one of my main goals is to not be one of those teachers that kids hate going to class with. I want to be a teacher they can not only learn a subject from, but one with whom they can learn how to interact well with the outside world as well. With everything technology has to offer (such as blogging) what better way to start that teaching by utilizing tools such as the internet and programs like Power Point. With this class, I hope to learn fun ways to use technology to keep my future students interested. I hope to sharpen what I already know, and grasp any new knowledge thrown my way.

After taking the "Learning Styles" test, I found that I am fairly balanced between an active and a reflective learning (scoring a 3 toward the reflective side). I am a bit more of a sensing learner than intuitive (scoring a 5 toward the sensing side). I am much more of a visual learner than verbal (scoring a 9 toward the visual side). Finally, I found that I am fairly balanced between sequential and global learners (scoring a 1 toward the sequential side). After reading the descriptions of the types of learners, I found most of my results to be true. I do like to color code my notes so that everything of related topics is of the same color, map things out outlining key points and do not gain a particularly great understanding of concepts by doing group homework or studying (as a visual learner would not, according to the test). All in all, the test reaffirmed what type of learner I thought I was.

2 comments:

jgentile said...

Margaret,

Sounds good. Make sure you jump in and share what you know with us. Many educators today are talking about how quality education comes from people coming TOGETHER to share what they know. A secret of teaching smart kids, is not to insist that they sit and go through all your instructions. They may know half of what you are saying already. Find a way to get them active to share, use, apply, tutor, and work with what they already know. Fail to do this and the smart kids may become you worst behaved students!!!

Heather said...

Hey Margaret!
I was so impressed by your enthusiasm for what we are doing in this class! It encouraged me very much and I wanted you to know that you in NO way sound like a nerd! I am actually very excited about this class as well! Thanks for the comment you left me. Wouldn't that be cool to teach at the same school one day?!?..hehe..that is very unlikely though! What you said about the whole being scared to ask questions in class, I was the exact same way! I want to be a teacher that my students can relate to and I want them to feel that they can be my friend! You sound like you are going to make an AMAZING teacher and I am excited that we have become friends! See you Wednesday as well..SOOOO bright and early!!!