Monday, February 4, 2008

Chapter 4: Hardware for Educators

Chapter 4 gives an in-depth view at the different hardware components of the computers we use today. It told us about input devices (such as keyboards, mice, touchpads, touchscreens, scanners, digital cameras, PDAs, etc.) and how they work and when using them would be helpful. It also goes over output devices (such as monitors, televisions, printers, speakers, projectors, etc.) and how they work and what they do. However, in all honesty, I did not find this chapter to interest me as much as the previous ones did. I felt like this chapter, at times, was just a giant overview of vocabulary. After reading each of the previous chapters, I felt like I had learned at least a few things that I could take into the classroom and apply. I'm not so sure I feel as comfortable with this chapter. Although it did have very descriptive information in terms of describing the hardware and its uses, I simply wasn't as interested... :(

Since last week's posting, I've spent a lot of time playing around with Inspiration 8. Although it only has a limited number of uses (i.e. making concept maps, outlines, etc.), it is very useful for doing just those things. I think that as a teacher, I would use a program like this often to map out things such as a compare/contrast chart of characters, steps to take for a certain lab, etc. I think teaching students to be proficient in a program like this would help them to learn a new way to map out their thoughts from their notes, and look at new information in a different way.

This past week my dad, whom as I mentioned before works as a computer programmer back home, bought a new computer for my mom to work on from home on. Since he was on call the whole weekend, the computer was left for me to hook up. I have to admit-- I was a bit intimidated. Who knew how much stuff this thing actually had on it, and after all, there were an infinite number of ways for me to mess each part of it up. After getting the nerve up to finally do it, I set up the entire computer in less than an hour. I was quite impressed! haha, and to my even greater surprise, it worked great! I even showed my mom a few new tricks I learned in Word. Turns out I'm learning quicker than I thought. :)

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Ha! Go Margaret! Hooking up the computer all by yourself! I have had to do that before and I was definitely intimidated. I completely agree with you on your comment about learning faster than you think. I will find myself actually remembering how to do things from class and using them. And I also teach my mom some new tricks on the computer, and with technology in general. I have recently started her on text messaging so that I don't have to call to ask her a quick question! By the way... you must have gone home this weekend then, huh? Hope you had fun! See you bright and early!

jgentile said...

Good job. I think you girls can do alot more technologically than you would at first think. Its just a matter of getting a bit of techno grease on your hands. You did the right think... you just jumped in and tried. Way to go.