Sunday, March 30, 2008

Nearing the End...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we've come to the point where our classes are beginning to wrap up and depending on your classes, assignments/tests are piled high. Only three more weeks and finals will be here! Crazy, isn't it? I've learned a lot in the class, much more than I ever thought I would. My goal is to be able to remember most everything I've learned (...hopefully) and be able to apply it in my own classroom within the next few years. I've been doing some thinking recently, and although my goal at the beginning of this year was to eventually become a middle/high school science teacher, I think I might change my major. I'm thinking more along the lines of Family & Consumer Sciences Education. Basically, home ec teacher. I did a little more research on it though, and it turns out that the major actually prepares you for a lot more than just becoming a home ec teacher. From the major description online, it says that students are prepared for a job in the field of education, business, and marketing. Sounds good to me! I was looking for something that gave me a little bit more flexibility, in case I got into my own classroom and simply couldn't take it (hopefully not!). So that's my goal... for now. We'll see where it goes! Kudos to Valerie for helping me out so much with my new-found major, haha.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this class. Like I said before, I learned so much more than I thought I would. Initially, I thought this class was simply going to be a review of what I already knew and that I'd probably get bored. This is probably the only class I can get up at 6:30am for, and stay interested until 10:45am. I love how everything we learned had direct application in the classroom. I don't feel like anything we went over was a waste. One of my favorite things that Mr. Gentile did was share little bits of advice for other aspects of being a teacher than just technology alone. Such as how to ask the class questions, and get a general feel for how the class wants to do an activity/learns best. I never dreaded coming to class and thoroughly enjoyed everything he had to say. When I found out that it was only his second semester teaching this class, I was pretty surprised. From the way he handled things, it seemed like he'd been doing it forever. I'm not sure that I would change anything about the class (other than it being at 8am! haha). I think things went very well within the class as long as proper effort was put in by the student.

No comments: